button to main menu   West's Guide to the Lakes, 1778/1821

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 41:-
the choir of chaunting monks. A remarkable deformity in this edifice, and for which there is no apparent reason or necessity, is, that the north door, which is the principal entrance, is on one side of the window above it. The tower has been supported by four magnificent arches, of which only one remains entire. They rested upon four tall pillars, whereof three are finely clustered, but the fourth is of a plain unmeaning construction.
return to Ulverston
From the abbey, if on horseback, return by Newton, Stainton, and Adgarly. See on the right a deep embayed coast, the islands of Walney and Foulney, Peel-castle, and a variety of extensive views on all sides. At Adgarly the new iron-works are carried on under the old workings. The richest ore is found here in immense quantities: one hundred and forty tons have been raised at one shaft in twenty-four hours. To the right, you have a view of the ruins of Gleaston-castle, the seat of the Flemings soon after the conquest, which by a succession of marriages, went to Cansfield, then to Harrington, who enjoyed it six decents (sic), after that to Bonville, and lastly to Gray; and was forfeited by Henry Gray, Duke of Suffolk, A.D. 1559. Leaving Urswick behind, ascend Birkrig, a rocky eminence, and from the beacon have a variety
button next page
gazetteer links
button -- Adgarley Ironworks (?)
button -- Birkrigg Beacon (?)
button -- Birkrigg Common
button -- Furness Abbey
button -- Gleaston Castle

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.