button to main menu   West's Guide to the Lakes, 1778/1821

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 18:-
situated on the north-side of the church-yard, may be satisfied it is not so, by viewing the part of the inclosure-wall yet standing, which is a thin mouldering fabric; whereas the Wery-wall is a cemented mass, that nothing but great violence can injure. Another fragment of it stands at a stile on the foot path, under the west end of the church-yard [1]. It is frequently met with in the church-yard, and its direction is to the western side of the castle. The father of the late William Bradshaw, Esq. of Halton, remembered the Wery-wall projecting over Bridge lane, and pointed directly to the river. This could never be the direction of the priory wall. To say nothing of the name which tradition has preserved, had Mr. Pennant viewed both, he would not have doubted a moment to join Camden against Leland. At Bridge-lane this wall makes an angle, and runs along the brow of the hill, behind the houses, in a line to Church-street, which it crosses about Covell cross. This is attested by the owners of the gardens. who have met with it in that direction, and always found blue clay under the foundation stones.
Though the station was one of the first which the Romans had in these parts, and, from its importance, the last they abandoned,
[1] This has been lately destroyed.
button next page
gazetteer links
button -- "Longovicum" -- (roman fort, Lancaster)
button -- Wery Wall

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.