button to main menu  Gents Mag 1848 part 1 p.374

button introduction
button list, 2nd qtr 19th century
button previous page button next page
Gentleman's Magazine 1848 part 1 p.374
the Saxon times have the family constantly deposited their dead. A quieter and more peacable resting place could not well be imagined. It is between three and four miles from the hall, lying apart from any habitation in a sequestered nook of land occupying the bend of the river, and altogether is one of thoses little quaint old-world spots consecrated by religion which are more frequently mentioned in books than to be found in reality.
The church itself is a very similar structure to the chapel at Brougham, but not near in so good repair, and has a musty, mouldy smell of decay so usual in such out-of-the-way churches. Beside the chancel door lie three stone coffin-lids, seemingly kicked out of the chancel to make room for some subsequent memorials, since become also antiquated, and till of late years but little either noticed or cared for. The church has an open timbered oaken roof, arches with wind braces, &c. and, in spite of repairs circa 1660, which have destroyed and nearly obliterated the original architecture, it has a solemn gloom, from the smallness of its round-headed windows, filled with dim old dingy and smudged green glass. The principal object of attraction is the disinterment made in the year 1846, and so well described in the Archaeological Journal by Mr. Brougham, with attendant notes by Mr. Albert Way. Oaken trap-doors have been contrived, in the most judicious manner, which lift up with rings, and now disclose the remains, as discovered, but minus the relics of the spur, metallic end of horn, and sword, now at the hall. The first skeleton discovered was cross-legged, and with the spur in question upon the left-heel, but with none on the right, or any trace of there having been any. This curious fact, in opposition to the well-known importance attached to a pair of spurs, has caused much speculation. One similar instance is mentioned by Mr. Way, but of a more remote period. Some of the figures amongst the anceint decorations of the Painted Chamber at Westminster are so portrayed in the Vestuta Monumenta. This skeleton is known to be that of Udard de Brougham, who flourished in the 12th century, and is surmounted by a flag or coffin-lid, incised with a cross flory and a cross-hilted sword, with what appears to be a sort of circular shield. This stone tradition has always pointed out as the "Crusader's tomb." Upon another incised flag, with a cross and sword upon it, is a rough incision of the letter B, and this is supposed to cover the remains of Gilbert de Broham, who succeeded Udard, and died 1230. Nine of these skeletons were examined, and with one supposed to be Saxon, was discovered a circlet seemingly of silver gilt, and apparently the end of a horn. It is about three inches in diameter and three quarters of an inch broad, and covered with interlacing work, intermingled with a sort of cherub with the hands raised. As only two incised flags are remaining, it may not be improbable that those on the outside may appertain to these remains. It would at all events be interesting to lift them from their present resting-place, and examine what is beneath.
In the family vault, close by where these skeletons lay, are several coffins of lead of various ages, and one large one of stone filled with bones; collected into this no doubt to make room for others.
What storms have passed over the land since the remote period when these lifeless figures lorded it over the surrounding country in all the pomp and circumstance of barbarous power! How peaceful now, with not a sound to dispel their rest, but the gurgling of the adjacent river, or the sighing of the breeze! The stillness is so solemn that the opening of the rusty-hinged heavy chancel door is quite startling, and the harsh grating of the trap-doors sounds enough to awaken the sleepers of the six and eight centuries below.
Dr. Markham further says, "From Browham or (as it was sometimes writ) Burgham, an ancient and warlike family took their surname and designation. They resided and flourished at this place for several ages. In or about the reign of Edward I. Gilbertus de Burgham was in possession of the whole, which he held in drengagio, a sort of military service, from the Danish word drenge, which signifies a servant. One moiety of the estate and manor he remits and gives up with the mill and advowson of the
button next page
gazetteer links
button -- Brougham Hall
button -- St Ninian's Church

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.