button to main menu   Ford's Description of the Lakes, 1839/1843

button title page
button previous page button next page
Page 142:-
roads to Ulles Water; one along the north, the other along the south side of the Eamont, both meeting near Pooley Bridge, a hamlet at the foot of the lake, where the river speeds its limpid way out of it.
  Dacre bears

The northern road leads past Dalemain Hall, built in the style of architecture that marks the reign of William III, and seated on the Dacre, which, rising in the moorish country of Penruddock, flows down a soft sequestered valley, past the gloomy and monastic Hall of Hutton John and the castle of Dacre, joining the Eamont in the park. It forms, with Dacre Castle and Blencathra behind, a grand picture as viewed from this Hall. On the right, are Dacre Castle and Church. The Castle is now converted into a farm-house, the moat is filled up, and the outworks destroyed; but the main building remains in a perfect state, consisting of four towers of excellent masonry. The church is a neat stone fabric dedicated to St. Andrew; it contains several monuments of the Hasell family; and on the north side of the altar-table is the effigy of a knight in armour. In the churchyard are four remarkable monuments, being the figures of bears, about five feet in height, sitting on their haunches, and clasping a rude pillar.
  Pooley Bridge
The road by the south leads over Eamont Bridge, thence by Yanwath (that fine specimen of the old Westmorland hall) through Tirril, and past Barton church to Pooley Bridge, where there is a pretty good inn, affording accommodation,
gazetteer links
button -- Dacre Castle
button -- "Dacre, The" -- (Dacre, River)
button -- "Dalemain Hall" -- Dalemain
button -- St Andrew's Church
button next page

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.