button to main menu West view across Windermere from the Hill above Ferry House

item:-
Dove Cottage : Lowther.12
image, button to large image
click to enlarge


Print, engraving, West view across Windermere from the Hill above Ferry House, Lancashire, painted by Joseph Farington, engraved by W Byrne and J Landseer, published by W Byrne, 69 Titchfield Street, London, 1785.
The lake with a fine background of mountains, Belle Isle clear; a group of travellers in the foreground.
Plate 17 from Views of the Lakes, &c, in Cumberland and Westmorland, published 1789.
Pasted in the Lowther scrapbook, vol.1; between pp.186-187; with descriptive text:-
VIEW across WINDERMERE, looking over the GREAT ISLAND. / THE Views given of Windermere, when compared with each other, shew that the Style of that Lake and its Environs differs materially from the other Lakes which are exhibited in the Course of this Work. That it is a Landscape of a softer Species, and wears a more cultivated Appearance. In Grandeur and Simplicity it is inferior to Derwentwater and Ulswater; but excels both in Splendour and Extent. Each Lake has a peculiar and striking Character; the Difficulty, therefore, with the Artist, is to determine on those Situations where the Distinction is marked in the strongest Manner. The Islands on Windermere (if they may be so called, many of them being rather wooded Rocks), are ten in number, composing a Kind of Archipelago, and in some Views appearing to separate the upper from the lower Reach of the Lake. In this View, which was taken on the Western Side, nearly opposite the Village of Bowness, the Great-Island, which contains about thirty Acres, forms a principal Object. It is of an oblong Shape, traversing the Lake in an oblique Line, and is the only one on which a Building is erected. From the Ferry-House beneath to Bowness, is the great Pass of Communication from the Western to the Eastern Shore.
source type:- Farington 1789 (plate 17)
inscription:- printed top right
No.XVII
inscription:- printed bottom, left, right and centre
Drawn by Josh. Farington, R.A. / Engraved by W. Byrne & J. Landseer. / West view across WINDERMERE, looking over the GREAT ISLAND. / From the Hill above Ferry House. / London : Published as the Act directs, 1 April 1789, by W. Byrne, No.79, Titchfield Street.
wxh, sheet:- 48.5x30cm
wxh, plate:- 365x251mm
wxh, print:- 337x208mm

from:-
Scrapbook, 4 volumes, History of Westmorland and Cumberland Illustrated, of descriptive texts, maps, and prints of views and coats of arms, for Westmorland and Cumberland, assembled by a member of the Lowther Family, late 18th early 19th century.
The volumes are quarter bound, with marbled paper on the covers; each has a bookplate inside the front cover. The pages cut from various sources are nicely mounted, two sided pieces set neatly in a window in the scrapbook page.
The main content is the whole of the two volumes of The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland, by Joseph Nicolson and Richard Burn, published London, 1777. Nicolson and Burn volume 1 is in scrapbook volumes 1 and 2, volume 2 in scrapbook volumes 3 and 4. Maps and prints are interspersed to make an illustrated version of the history.
Some of the sources of maps and prints have been recognised:-
Maps - coast of Cumberland etc by Andrew Dury, 1764; Westmorland and Cumberland by Richard Blome, 1673; sheets from Britannia Depicta, Emanuel Bowen, 1720; Cumberland by John Speed, Henry Overton edn 1695; Cumberland by John Cary 1787.
Prints from the Set of prints, 20 engravings, Views of the Lakes etc in Cumberland and Westmorland, drawn by Joseph Farington, published by William Byrne, London, 1789. Note that plate numbers vary from edition to edition of this set.
Prints from the Antiquities of Great Britain, drawings by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne, published by Hearne and Byrne, London, 1786-1807.
Prints from Britannia Illustrata, drawings by Leonard Knyff, engraved by John Kip, published London, 1707-1740.
Print from A Tour in England and Scotland, by Thomas Newte, published by G G J and J Robinson, Paternoster Row, London, 1788..
Some of the coat of arms are cut from A Display of Heraldrie by John Guillim late Pursuivant at Armes, published London, about 1610-11 to 1755.
Coats of arms probably from The Baronetage of England, by Edward Kimber and Richard Johnson, published London? 1771.
Pages from The Antiquarian Repertory, by Francis Grose, Thomas Astle, et al, published London, 1775-1809.
Text from the Baronetage of England by Collins?
Scraps cut from an unidentified gazetteer.
At the end is the title page and pp.7-51 from A General View of the Agriculture of the County of Cumberland, by John Bailey and George Culley, published by C Macrae, London, 1794.
Individual maps and prints are documented separately; with a note of their position in the scrapbooks.

inscription:- : embossed: label on spine: (tatty remains): HI[ ] / [ ]/WEST[ ]M[ ] / [ ] / CUM[ ]M[ ] / ILLUS[ ]T[E ] inscription:- : printed & embossed: bookplate: gold on grey; crest, 6 annulets from the coat of arms, flowers, thistles: LOWTHER