Dove Cottage : Lowther.9
click to enlarge
Print, engraving, View from Rydal, looking towards
Windermere, Westmorland, painted by Joseph Farington,
engraved by B T Pouncy, published by W Byrne, 69 Titchfield
Street, London, 1789.
On the hill above Rydal looking south, lake Windermere in the background.
Plate 15 from Views of the Lakes, &c, in Cumberland and Westmorland, published 1789.
Pasted in the Lowther scrapbook, vol.1; between pp.178-179; with descriptive text:-
VIEW from RYDAL looking towards WINDERMERE, / IN the Progress of this Work, some of the Features which distinguish the situation of Rydal have been noticed. The View here presented exhibits another Species of Landscape, which will serve to show the great Variety which abounds in this Neighbourhood. The Traveller on his Tour is directed to the Waterfall, passes at the Foot of the Mountain, and pursues his Course by the Side of the Lake. A few Circumstances of Notoriety are habitually recommended; to these he pays his Visit, and leaves the Place, supposing himself sufficiently acquainted with what is remarkable.- But a true Idea of the Beauties of such a Country can only be formed by him who has Time to explore the various Elevations, who considers the different Points of View, and suffers no accidental Circumstance to escape him. In this View, which was taken a little above Rydal-Hall, Part of Windermere-Lake, bounded on the West-Side by Furness-Fells, has a beautiful Effect, over the dark Umbrage that decorates the Hills adjacent to Ambleside, the Situation of which is marked by a few Houses in the middle Distance.
|source type:-||Farington 1789 (plate 15)|
printed top right
printed bottom, left, right and centre
Drawn by Josh. Farington, R.A. / Engraved by B. T. Pouncy. / View from RYDAL, looking towards WINDERMERE.
Scrapbook, 4 volumes, History of Westmorland and Cumberland Illustrated, of descriptive texts, maps, and prints of views and coats of arms, for Westmorland and Cumberland, assembled by a member of the Lowther Family, late 18th early 19th century.
The volumes are quarter bound, with marbled paper on the covers; each has a bookplate inside the front cover. The pages cut from various sources are nicely mounted, two sided pieces set neatly in a window in the scrapbook page.
The main content is the whole of the two volumes of The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland, by Joseph Nicolson and Richard Burn, published London, 1777. Nicolson and Burn volume 1 is in scrapbook volumes 1 and 2, volume 2 in scrapbook volumes 3 and 4. Maps and prints are interspersed to make an illustrated version of the history.
Some of the sources of maps and prints have been recognised:-
Maps - coast of Cumberland etc by Andrew Dury, 1764; Westmorland and Cumberland by Richard Blome, 1673; sheets from Britannia Depicta, Emanuel Bowen, 1720; Cumberland by John Speed, Henry Overton edn 1695; Cumberland by John Cary 1787.
Prints from the Set of prints, 20 engravings, Views of the Lakes etc in Cumberland and Westmorland, drawn by Joseph Farington, published by William Byrne, London, 1789. Note that plate numbers vary from edition to edition of this set.
Prints from the Antiquities of Great Britain, drawings by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne, published by Hearne and Byrne, London, 1786-1807.
Prints from Britannia Illustrata, drawings by Leonard Knyff, engraved by John Kip, published London, 1707-1740.
Print from A Tour in England and Scotland, by Thomas Newte, published by G G J and J Robinson, Paternoster Row, London, 1788..
Some of the coat of arms are cut from A Display of Heraldrie by John Guillim late Pursuivant at Armes, published London, about 1610-11 to 1755.
Coats of arms probably from The Baronetage of England, by Edward Kimber and Richard Johnson, published London? 1771.
Pages from The Antiquarian Repertory, by Francis Grose, Thomas Astle, et al, published London, 1775-1809.
Text from the Baronetage of England by Collins?
Scraps cut from an unidentified gazetteer.
At the end is the title page and pp.7-51 from A General View of the Agriculture of the County of Cumberland, by John Bailey and George Culley, published by C Macrae, London, 1794.
Individual maps and prints are documented separately; with a note of their position in the scrapbooks.
inscription:- : embossed: label on spine: (tatty remains): HI[ ] / [ ]/WEST[ ]M[ ] / [ ] / CUM[ ]M[ ] / ILLUS[ ]T[E ] inscription:- : printed & embossed: bookplate: gold on grey; crest, 6 annulets from the coat of arms, flowers, thistles: LOWTHER