Dove Cottage : Lowther.13
© see bottom of page
click to enlarge
Print, engraving, Brathay Bridge, near Ambleside, Lakes,
Westmorland, painted by Joseph Farington, engraved by W
Byrne and T Medland, published by W Byrne, 79 Titchfield
Street, London, 1787.
From the lower side of the bridge, across which a packhorse is being led.
Plate 10 from Views of the Lakes, &c, in Cumberland and Westmorland, published 1789.
Pasted in the Lowther scrapbook, vol.1; between pp.188-189; with descriptive text:-
BRATHAY BRIDGE NEAR AMBLESIDE. / IT has been already remarked in the preceding set that this country derives no inconsiderable advantage in respect of beauty from the form of it's buildings and bridges. The present view is selected principally with design of illustrating and confirming the observation. The scene itself lies upon the road leading from Ambleside to Hawkshead about a mile distant from the former place. It can hardly fail to attract the notice of the admirer of landscape and has not unfrequently called into exercise the powers of the artist. The long lines and flat roofs so much admired in the Italian buildings are peculiarly striking. The houses form a part of the village of Clappersgate. Lancashire is separated from Westmorland by the Brathay: It soon unites itself with the Rothay, and after a short course they enter Winandermere together. The upper part of the hill remains clear while it's skirts are obscured by cloud. This effect, though common enough among mountains, appears curious to those who have been accustomed only to level country.
|source type:-||Farington 1789 (plate 10)|
printed top right
printed bottom, left, right and centre
Drawn by Josh. Farington, R.A. / Engraved by W. Byrne & T. Medland. / BRATHAY BRIDGE, near AMBLESIDE. / London : Published as the Act directs, 15 March 1787, by W. Byrne, No.79, Titchfield Street.
Scrapbook, 4 volumes, History of Westmorland and Cumberland Illustrated, of descriptive texts, maps, and prints of views and coats of arms, for Westmorland and Cumberland, assembled by a member of the Lowther Family, late 18th early 19th century.
The volumes are quarter bound, with marbled paper on the covers; each has a bookplate inside the front cover. The pages cut from various sources are nicely mounted, two sided pieces set neatly in a window in the scrapbook page.
The main content is the whole of the two volumes of The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland, by Joseph Nicolson and Richard Burn, published London, 1777. Nicolson and Burn volume 1 is in scrapbook volumes 1 and 2, volume 2 in scrapbook volumes 3 and 4. Maps and prints are interspersed to make an illustrated version of the history.
Some of the sources of maps and prints have been recognised:-
Maps - coast of Cumberland etc by Andrew Dury, 1764; Westmorland and Cumberland by Richard Blome, 1673; sheets from Britannia Depicta, Emanuel Bowen, 1720; Cumberland by John Speed, Henry Overton edn 1695; Cumberland by John Cary 1787.
Prints from the Set of prints, 20 engravings, Views of the Lakes etc in Cumberland and Westmorland, drawn by Joseph Farington, published by William Byrne, London, 1789. Note that plate numbers vary from edition to edition of this set.
Prints from the Antiquities of Great Britain, drawings by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne, published by Hearne and Byrne, London, 1786-1807.
Prints from Britannia Illustrata, drawings by Leonard Knyff, engraved by John Kip, published London, 1707-1740.
Print from A Tour in England and Scotland, by Thomas Newte, published by G G J and J Robinson, Paternoster Row, London, 1788..
Some of the coat of arms are cut from A Display of Heraldrie by John Guillim late Pursuivant at Armes, published London, about 1610-11 to 1755.
Coats of arms probably from The Baronetage of England, by Edward Kimber and Richard Johnson, published London? 1771.
Pages from The Antiquarian Repertory, by Francis Grose, Thomas Astle, et al, published London, 1775-1809.
Text from the Baronetage of England by Collins?
Scraps cut from an unidentified gazetteer.
At the end is the title page and pp.7-51 from A General View of the Agriculture of the County of Cumberland, by John Bailey and George Culley, published by C Macrae, London, 1794.
Individual maps and prints are documented separately; with a note of their position in the scrapbooks.
inscription:- : embossed: label on spine: (tatty remains): HI[ ] / [ ]/WEST[ ]M[ ] / [ ] / CUM[ ]M[ ] / ILLUS[ ]T[E ] inscription:- : printed & embossed: bookplate: gold on grey; crest, 6 annulets from the coat of arms, flowers, thistles: LOWTHER