Dove Cottage : Lowther.4
© see bottom of page
click to enlarge
Print, engraving, Grasmere, Lakes, Westmorland, painted
by Joseph Farington, engraved by B T Pouncy, published by W
Byrne, 69 Titchfield Street, London, 1785.
Grasmere lake, Grasmere and St Oswald's Church, and Helm Crag etc, in the background.
Plate 5 from Views of the Lakes, &c, in Cumberland and Westmorland, published 1789.
Pasted in the Lowther scrapbook, vol.1; between pp.148-149, with descriptive text:-.
GRASMERE / LIES about four Miles from Ambleside, near the Road to Keswick. The Vale in which it is situated is about four Miles in Circumference. In the centre of this View, beyond the Lake, stands the Church and Village of Grasmere, above which rises Helme-Crag, of a pyramidal Form, and particularly distinguished by the broken Outline of its Summit. On the Right of this Mountain are Steel-Fell and Seat-Sandle; between them passes the Road leading to Keswick, the highest Point of which, as seen in this View, marks the Situation of Dunmail-Raise, a Heap of Stones, which perpetuate the Name and Fall of the last King of Cumberland, defeated there by the Saxon Monarch, Edmund, about the Year 944. Grasmere contains one Island, and is not of great Extent, but, with its Vale, possesses peculiar Beauty. Enriched with Cultivation, the Vale exhibits a variegated Scene of peaceful Industry, while the lofty Mountains which surround it throw a gentle Shade over the Bosom of this secluded Retreat, which adds to the Air of Stillness and Retirement.
|source type:-||Farington 1789 (plate 5)|
printed top right
N[ ] V
printed bottom, left, right and centre
Drawn by Josh. Farington / Engraved by B. T. Pouncy. / GRASMERE. / Published as the Act directs. 1 Feb. 1785, by W. Byrne, No.79 Titchfield Str. London.
Scrapbook, 4 volumes, History of Westmorland and Cumberland Illustrated, of descriptive texts, maps, and prints of views and coats of arms, for Westmorland and Cumberland, assembled by a member of the Lowther Family, late 18th early 19th century.
The volumes are quarter bound, with marbled paper on the covers; each has a bookplate inside the front cover. The pages cut from various sources are nicely mounted, two sided pieces set neatly in a window in the scrapbook page.
The main content is the whole of the two volumes of The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland, by Joseph Nicolson and Richard Burn, published London, 1777. Nicolson and Burn volume 1 is in scrapbook volumes 1 and 2, volume 2 in scrapbook volumes 3 and 4. Maps and prints are interspersed to make an illustrated version of the history.
Some of the sources of maps and prints have been recognised:-
Maps - coast of Cumberland etc by Andrew Dury, 1764; Westmorland and Cumberland by Richard Blome, 1673; sheets from Britannia Depicta, Emanuel Bowen, 1720; Cumberland by John Speed, Henry Overton edn 1695; Cumberland by John Cary 1787.
Prints from the Set of prints, 20 engravings, Views of the Lakes etc in Cumberland and Westmorland, drawn by Joseph Farington, published by William Byrne, London, 1789. Note that plate numbers vary from edition to edition of this set.
Prints from the Antiquities of Great Britain, drawings by Thomas Hearne, engraved by William Byrne, published by Hearne and Byrne, London, 1786-1807.
Prints from Britannia Illustrata, drawings by Leonard Knyff, engraved by John Kip, published London, 1707-1740.
Print from A Tour in England and Scotland, by Thomas Newte, published by G G J and J Robinson, Paternoster Row, London, 1788..
Some of the coat of arms are cut from A Display of Heraldrie by John Guillim late Pursuivant at Armes, published London, about 1610-11 to 1755.
Coats of arms probably from The Baronetage of England, by Edward Kimber and Richard Johnson, published London? 1771.
Pages from The Antiquarian Repertory, by Francis Grose, Thomas Astle, et al, published London, 1775-1809.
Text from the Baronetage of England by Collins?
Scraps cut from an unidentified gazetteer.
At the end is the title page and pp.7-51 from A General View of the Agriculture of the County of Cumberland, by John Bailey and George Culley, published by C Macrae, London, 1794.
Individual maps and prints are documented separately; with a note of their position in the scrapbooks.
inscription:- : embossed: label on spine: (tatty remains): HI[ ] / [ ]/WEST[ ]M[ ] / [ ] / CUM[ ]M[ ] / ILLUS[ ]T[E ] inscription:- : printed & embossed: bookplate: gold on grey; crest, 6 annulets from the coat of arms, flowers, thistles: LOWTHER