button to main menu Camden 1789 map

item:-
Hampshire Museums : FA1999.5.3
image, button to large image
click to enlarge


Map, uncoloured engraving, Saxon England according to the Saxon Chronicle, engraved by John Sturt, London, 1695, reengraved edn 1789.
There is an accompanying text about the etymology of saxon place names, by Richard Gough.
Facing vol.1 p.CX in Britannia by William Camden, 1586, translated from Latin by Richard Gough, published London, 1789.
The map was originally used in the edition of Camden's Britannia translated by Edmund Gibson, published 1695, but was reengraved for the 1789 edition.
   Camden 1789 map
inscription:-
SAXON ENGLAND / according to the / SAXON CHRONICLE
wxh, map:- 22.5x31cm
image, button to large image