button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Cappleside Hall, Beetham
Cappleside Hall
locality:-   Cappleside Hill
civil parish:-   Beetham (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   buildings
coordinates:-   SD50118024 (about) 
1Km square:-   SD5080
10Km square:-   SD58
SummaryText:-   A 15th century wall is now part of a barn.
references:-   Salter 1998

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 46 7) 
placename:-  Cappleside Barn
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"Cappleside Barn (Ruin)"

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
placename:-  Cabblethwaite Hall
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
"Remains of Cabblethwaite Hall"
circle, labelled in italic lowercase text; settlement, farm, house, or hamlet? 
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   site plan:- Curwen 1913
placename:-  Cappleside Hall
source data:-   Site plan, lithograph, Cappleside Hall, Beetham, Westmorland, published for the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society by Titus Wilson, Kendal, Westmorland, 1913.
image  click to enlarge
On p.354 of The Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, by John F Curwen. 
printed at upper left:-  "Cappleside Hall: Beetham: ..."
item:-  Armitt Library : A782.72
Image © see bottom of page

15th century tower and hall

Perriam, D R &Robinson, J: 1998: Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria: CWAAS:: ISBN 1 873124 23 6; plan

The hall was demolished in the 18th century, to provide building stone. One wing survived to be converted into a barn. During the conversion work human bones were discovered iin the shaft of an old privy. And from then the site was haunted by the Cappleside Lady. The barn fell to ruins and all that is left are some stones on the hillside.

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.