button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Mary, Crosthwaite
St Mary's Church
Crosthwaite Church
locality:-   Crosthwaite
civil parish:-   Crosthwaite and Lyth (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   SD44619114
1Km square:-   SD4491
10Km square:-   SD49
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BJZ46.jpg (taken 9.11.2005)  
BJZ47.jpg (taken 9.11.2005)  

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H
source data:-   Map of the English Lakes, in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
cross, a church 
item:-  JandMN : 82.1
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Mary
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church. 1878. Rock-faced limestone with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel, canted apse, south transept and west tower. 4-bay nave and chancel has gabled buttresses, cornice, plain coped parapet and gable. 3-light pointed windows have double-cusped pointed lights and hoods. Entrance to north-west in shallow gabled porch. South-east transept has 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery; stack to east angle. Apse has coved cornice with Tudor flower ornament, 3-light window and single lights to angles have Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds with head stops and sill course. Gable cross-traceried light to west end, north of tower. 3-stage tower has weathered set back buttresses and cill, 2-light traceried west window, square traceried window to 2nd stage, and 2-light traceried and louvred bell openings, all with hoods and head stops. Top cornice with gargoyles and coped parapet with blind quatrefoils with escutcheons. Lead-clad pyramidal roof with wind vane. Interior has deep arch braced roof trusses with king pendants with longitudinal and lateral arch braces, hollow chamfered braces and purlins. Chancel has trusses with collars with brattishing, 2 trusses have hammer beams carved as angels flanking truss with pendants to collar, which continues as ridge piece to transept, rich mouldings to braces and purlins. Tower arch of 2 orders, hood with headstops, timber screen with stained glass to traceried openings. Octagonal font with carved panels and capital to shaft. Niche in west wall has bust of W. Pearson (a friend of Wordsworth) died 1856. Monument to Dickinson family, 1803 by Webster of Kendal. Organ in transept. Octagonal timber pulpit on stone base has blind tracery. Open tracery to choir stalls. Apse has panelled east wall painted with symbols of Passion, angels, the Blessed Virgin and St Peter, and scenes from the Passion. Brass altar rail on enriched supports. C19 stained glass to east and west windows, late C20 glass to 2 south windows."

 ring of bells

BJZ50.jpg (taken 9.11.2005)  
BJZ48.jpg  Organ built by Wilkinson, Kendal, 1865.
(taken 9.11.2005)  
BNC31.jpg  Organ built by Wilkinson, Kendal, 1865.
(taken 9.11.2005)  
BWB98.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 9.11.2005)  

There is reference to the spring of the Chapel of St mary in a grant dated 1187, which suggests some sort of building from that time. The earliest record of a church on the present site is in 1535. A chancel and tower were built 1626. Serious restoration was carried out in 1816-17. A new church was built 1879, supported by money from the Argles Family; the tower rebuilt 1885.

Windsor, E P L: 1997: St Mary's Church Crosthwaite, A Brief History and Notes
: : church leaflet

person:-    : St Mary
place:-   Crosthwaite / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.