button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St James, Temple Sowerby
St James's Church
Temple Sowerby Church
locality:-   Temple Sowerby
civil parish:-   Temple Sowerby (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY611271
1Km square:-   NY6127
10Km square:-   NY62
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5


photograph
BME81.jpg (taken 1.6.2006)  
photograph
CFA23.jpg (taken 16.5.2016)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 4 16) 
placename:-  St James's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
image
J5NY62NW.jpg
church 
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
image
NUR1NY62.jpg
"TEMPLE SOWERBY"
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page


photograph
CFA37.jpg  Inscribed:-
"THOMAS MEARS &SON OF L[ ]" (taken 16.5.2016)  
photograph
CFA38.jpg  Rehung by Taylor, Loughborough.
(taken 16.5.2016)  

 kneelers

:-  
The incumbent is an assistant curate to 1774, then a perpetual curate.

 stained glass

 sundial

 scratch dial


photograph
CFA27.jpg  Organ, by Wilkinson and Sons, Kendal.
(taken 16.5.2016)  
photograph
CFA29.jpg  Organ, by Wilkinson and Sons, Kendal.
(taken 16.5.2016)  
photograph
CFA28.jpg  Organ, by Wilkinson, Kendal.
"WILKINSON &SONS / KENDAL / EST: 1829" (taken 16.5.2016)  
photograph
CFA30.jpg  Sentences from scripture.
(taken 16.5.2016)  
photograph
CFA25.jpg  Coat of arms on pulpit.
(taken 16.5.2016)  
photograph
CFA26.jpg  Coat of arms on choir stalls.
(taken 16.5.2016)  
photograph
CFA24.jpg  Altar frontal.
(taken 16.5.2016)  
photograph
CFA35.jpg  Turret clock, installed 1949.
(taken 16.5.2016)  
photograph
Click to enlarge
CFA36.jpg  Turret clock, installed 1949.
(taken 16.5.2016)  
photograph
BME82.jpg  Cut bench mark, with spot height:-
"348Ā¾Feet above the Sea" (taken 1.6.2006)  

hearsay:-  
The church was once a chapel of ease to Newbiggin or Kirkby Thore parish. It was mentioned in 1200, when Adam son of Waldeve granted the advowson of Kirkby Thore to Robert Veteripont
"... with all the liberties and dignities of the said church ... as well in the chapels of Soureby and Milburne ..."
The church was rebuilt in 1770, funded in part by Sir William Dalston, lord of the manor, the inhabitants responsible for carting stone from a quarry at Crowdundle. Extensive repairs were made, the nave and chancel much rebuilt, 1875. The township became a parish in 1880.

:-  
Organ by Wilkinson, Kendal.

dedication
person:-    : St James
place:-   Temple Sowerby / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.