button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Anne, Ings
St Anne's Church
locality:-   Ings
civil parish:-   Hugill (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   SD44609863
1Km square:-   SD4498
10Km square:-   SD49

BJX29.jpg (taken 7.10.2005)  
BJX32.jpg (taken 7.10.2005)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 33 5) 
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"Church (Per Cur.) / Grave Yard / Sundial"

evidence:-   old map:- Ogilby 1675 (plate 96) 
placename:-  Chapel on the Inges
source data:-   Road strip map, hand coloured engraving, the Road from Kendal to Cockermouth, and the Road from Egremond to Carlisle, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by John Ogilby, London, 1675.
In mile 6, Westmoreland.  "Chapel on the Inges"
drawn on the right of the road, by houses. 
item:-  JandMN : 22
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Bowen 1720 (plate 260) 
source data:-   Road strip map, uncoloured engraving, pl.260, The Road from Kendal to Cockermouth, scale about 2 miles to 1 inch, with sections in Westmorland and Cumberland, published by Emanuel Bowen, St Katherines, London, 1720.
"Chapel on ye Inges"
At mile 6-7. 
item:-  private collection : 1.260
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
placename:-  Ings Chaple
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
"Ings Chaple"
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821) 
placename:-  Ings Chapel
source data:-   Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in London, 1778 to 1821.
image WS21P213, button  goto source
Addendum; Mr Gray's Journal, 1769 
Page 213:-  "..."
"[on the way to Kendal] Passed by Ings chapel, and Staveley; but I can say no farther, for the dusk of the evening coming on, ..."

evidence:-   descriptive text:- Ford 1839 (3rd edn 1843) 
source data:-   Guide book, A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by Rev William Ford, published by Charles Thurnam, Carlisle, by W Edwards, 12 Ave Maria Lane, Charles Tilt, Fleet Street, William Smith, 113 Fleet Street, London, by Currie and Bowman, Newcastle, by Bancks and Co, Manchester, by Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, and by Sinclair, Dumfries, 1839.
image FD01P023, button  goto source
Page 23:-  "[Ings] ... the chapel, which is a neat edifice, was rebuilt in 1743, by Robert Bateman, a poor lad, who being furnished with a small subscription by the congregation to assist him on his pedestrian journey to London, rose from the lowest menial office in the house of a wealthy merchant, to be his master's partner. ..."
image FD01P160, button  goto source
Page 160:-  "..."
"Ings Chapel is a neat edifice, rebuilt in 1743."

evidence:-   old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H
source data:-   Map of the English Lakes, in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
cross, a church 
item:-  JandMN : 82.1
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Anne
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHURCH OF ST ANNE / / / HUGILL / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 76470 / SD4460898633"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish Church dated 1743 on plaque, restored and North Transept added in 1877. Roughly coursed rubble walls, sandstone quoins and window surrounds, graduated greenslate roof and stone ridge. Stone urns to each corner. 6 bays. Continuous nave and chancel. Square tower at West end with corniced ashlar parapet surmounted by 8 stone flaming torches. West entrance in base of tower has plain classical doorcase with broken pediment enclosing the coat of arms of Robert Bateman of Reston Hall (q.v.). A plaque over the door is inscribed "This Chapel was begun to be built Anno Domini 1743 at ye sole expense of Mr Robert Bateman Merchant of Leghorn Born in this Hamlet but He Dying suddenly the same year the work was ordered and appointed to be finished by his Executors". C19 studded wooden double doors fitted with wooden lock apparently dated 1682 but very worn. East window: Venetian with rusticated central architrave within open and broken pediment; remaining windows: arched heads with keystones and impost blocks. Interior has coved and panelled ceiling, said to have been plastered during C19 restoration, with continuous frieze and dentil cornice, supported by Ionic pillars on pedestals in the chancel. East window, to memory of Isabella Thompson and signed by Edward Frampton, is flanked by panels with quotations from the Bible set in C19 Jacobean style panelling; C18 turned altar rails; brass in chancel commemorating the restoration of 1877 with poem by Wordsworth to Robert Bateman. Opening in West Tower filled with 3-stage screen of Corinthian order. Lower stage has round-headed double doors with small twisted pilasters, flanked by Corinthian pilasters with defaced capitals. Royal Arms above. Marble floor sent from Italy by Bateman. C18 font with cherub heads possibly with later pedestal."

 ring of bells

Inman, James  1546 -  
Stevenson, Clement  1616 -  
Addison, Edward  1663 -  
Robinson, James  1676 -  
Gaythorpe, William  1732 -  
Stephenson, Robert  1734 -  
Bradley, John  1738 -  
Knipe, Isaac  1746 -  
Scales, Thomas  1754 -  
Jackson, Edward  1761 -  
Wilson, John  1763 -  
Jackson, John  1763 -  
Kilner, William  1764 -  
Airey, John  1813 -  
Harris, Charles B  1845 -  
Finch, Mathew I  1847 -  
Fenton, Thomas  1854 -  
Cosbey, James  1887 -  
Reade, George E P  1910 -  

 sundial (not found)

BRA17.jpg  Organ.
(taken 9.7.2009)  
BJX33.jpg  The font.
(taken 7.10.2005)  
BJX34.jpg  Coat of arms, George I ?
(taken 7.10.2005)  
BJX31.jpg  Plaque over the door:-
"This chapel was begun to be Rebuilt Anno Domini. 1743. at ye Sole Expence of Mr. Robert Bateman Merchant at Leghorne Born in this Hamlet. But he Dying Suddenly the same Year. The work was ordered And appointed to be finished By his Executors" (taken 7.10.2005)  
BRA13.jpg  Parish chest.
(taken 9.7.2009)  
BXT15.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 12.12.2012)  
BRA15.jpg  Notice of subscribers to rebuilding.
(taken 9.7.2009)  
BRA16.jpg  Notice of charities.
(taken 9.7.2009)  
CFK23.jpg  Carrera marble floor in the choir.
(taken 25.8.2016)  
CFK24.jpg  polished sandstone floor in the nave.
(taken 25.8.2016)  
CFK25.jpg  polished sandstone floor in the nave.
(taken 25.8.2016)  
BJX30.jpg  Coat of arms over the door.
(taken 7.10.2005)  
BOW88.jpg  Weathervane.
(taken 26.3.2008)  

CDO98.jpg  Organ, by Wilkinson, Kendal.
(taken 2015)  courtesy of Elizabeth Bingham.

BRA14.jpg  Old painting.
(taken 9.7.2009)  

Richard Bateman, born in Ings, became a merchant in Leghorn. In 1740 he shipped slabs of Carrera marble for the chapel floor.
There is an often told tale that he was poisonned by the captain of the ship carrying the marble, who seized the cargo. ... This is not true.

Perhaps built here about 1616, a document in the Diocesan registry certfied by the vicar of Kendal, 1717:-
"Ings, in Hugill, so called because of its position among the meadows. The Church was built about 100 years ago. ..."
It was rebuilt, by Rowland Wilson, about 1650. It is restyled in the georgian manner by Robert Bateman, 1743. It gained permission for baptisms, then marriages, and then burials, from 1650s-1791. Refurbished 1842, in 1876-77, and major work in 2102.

:: church leaflet

person:-    : St Anne
place:-   Hugill / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.