|Sandpot, North Yorkshire|
|evidence:-||descriptive text:- West 1778 (11th edn 1821)
|source data:-||Guide book, A Guide to the Lakes, by Thomas West, published by
William Pennington, Kendal, Cumbria once Westmorland, and in
London, 1778 to 1821.
Tour to the Caves in the West Riding of Yorkshire, late 18th century
Page 255:- "About one hundred yards below the chapel [at Chapel-le-Dale] there are the ruins of an old cave, called Sandpot; the top has apparently sometime fallen in, and has covered the bottom with its ruins. A large cascade is distinctly heard through this rubbish. If a descent were opened, no doubt but a subterranean passage would be discovered, leading either to the caves above the chapel, or, more probably, to Douk-cave, on the base of Ingleborough, if not to both."