button to main menu   Old Cumbria Gazetteer
placename:- Holy Trinity Church
other name:- Howgill Church
locality:- Howgill
parish Sedbergh parish, once in Yorkshire
county:- Cumbria
church
coordinates:- SD63369503
10Km square:- SD69

1Km square SD6395

photograph

Holy Trinity Church -- Howgill -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- 16.3.2010
photograph

Holy Trinity Church -- Howgill -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- 23.9.2005

old map:- Ford 1839 map

Map of the Lake District, published in A Description of Scenery in the Lake District, by William Ford, published by Charles Thurnham, London, 1839.
thumbnail FD02SD69, button to large image
Howgill Chap.

placename:- Howgill Chapel
county:- Yorkshire
date:- 1839
period:- 19th century, early; 1830s

old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd)

Map, The County of Westmoreland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed by J Ainslie and perhaps T Donald, engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
thumbnail J5SD69SW, button to large image
Chap
church
county:- Westmorland
date:- 1770
period:- 18th century, late; 1770s

old map:- Bowen and Kitchin 1760

New Map of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, Emanuel Bowen and Thomas Kitchin, published by T Bowles, John Bowles and Son, Robert Sayer, and John Tinney, 1760; published 1760-87.
thumbnail BO18NY70, button to large image
Howgill Ch.
circle, tower

placename:- Howgill Chapel
date:- 1760
period:- 18th century, late; 1760s

old print:- Thompson 1894

Guide book, An Illustrated Guide to Sedbergh, Garsdale, and Dent, by W Thompson, Sedbergh, published by Richard Jackson, Commercial Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1894.
thumbnail THP118, button to large image
Print, engraving, Howgill Chapel, Howgill, Sedbergh, Yorkshire, published by Richard Jackson, Commercial Street, Leeds, Yorkshire, 1894.
On p.83 of An Illustrated Guide to Sedbergh, Garsdale, and Dent, by W Thompson.

placename:- Howgill Chapel
date:- 1894
period:- 19th century, late

database:- Listed Buildings 2010

Listed Buildings 2010

courtesy of English Heritage
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY / / HOWGILL LANE / SEDBERGH / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 484575 / SD6337095035
courtesy of English Heritage
Church. 1838, by Edmund Sharpe. Mixed random rubble with sandstone dressings and graduated slate roof. Small building in simple Early English style. Nave with short chancel. The gabled 3-window west front, symmetrical, with narrow diagonal buttresses, has a 2-centred arched doorway with chamfered surround, hoodmould and double doors, a lancet window each side and another over the doorway, and gable bellcote. The 6-window north and south sides each have one buttress between the 1st and 2nd windows, and tall lancet windows with chamfered reveals, diamond leaded glazing and hoodmoulds. The chancel, which is slightly lower, has one similar window in each side and a stepped triple-lancet east window.
INTERIOR: west gallery over internal porch; box pews; panelled font in Early English style. Very picturesque site in valley beside beck.

placename:- Church of the Holy Trinity
district:- South Lakeland
listed building
coordinates:- SD63379503
date:- 2010
period:- 2010s

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Howgill -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- The bell. -- 16.3.2010

incumbents:-
Chambers, Walter 1697
Holme, John 1744
Sanderson, Thomas 1746
Tomlinson, Robert 1747
Udal, Joseph 1759
Alderson, Christopher 1760
Metcalfe, Lister 1763
Mason, Edward 1765
Metcalf, John 1769
Browne, John 1770
Sedgwick, John 1773
Green, Isaac 1836
Powell, Edward 1875
Nixon, Louis 1891
Guy, Douglas S 1894
Whaley, Oswald 1905

photographs
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Howgill -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- 23.9.2005
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Howgill -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- 10.9.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Howgill -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- War memorial plaque. -- 23.11.2012
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Howgill -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- Church gate. -- 16.3.2010
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Howgill -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- Yews. -- 10.9.2011
tiny photograph, 
button to large Holy Trinity Church -- Howgill -- Sedbergh -- Cumbria / -- Yew leaves. -- 10.9.2011

hearsay The chapelry became a parish in 1737. This church was built 1838, when the old chapel became a house, Brantyghyll, across the stream.

button   bell house, Kendal
button   ring of bells, Brathay
button   ring of bells, Casterton
button   ring of bells, Kendal
button   ring of bells, Langdale
button   sundial, Colton
button   sundial, Kendal
button   sundial, Seathwaite
button   sundial, Winster
button   war memorial, Grange
button   war memorial, Howgill

Old Cumbria Gazetteer - JandMN: 2013

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.