button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Hill Top, New Hutton
Hill Top
Holme Park School
locality:-   Monument Hill
civil parish:-   New Hutton (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   buildings
locality type:-   school
coordinates:-   SD54799121
1Km square:-   SD5491
10Km square:-   SD59

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 39 9) 
placename:-  Hill Top
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.

evidence:-   hearth tax returns:- Hearth Tax 1675
placename:-  Hill-toppe
source data:-   Records, hearth tax survey returns, Westmorland, 1674/75.
in  "Hay Constable-wick"

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
placename:-  Hill Top
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
"Hill Top / Mr. Robinson"
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   old map:- Cary 1789 (edn 1805) 
placename:-  Hill Top
source data:-   Map, uncoloured engraving, Westmoreland, scale about 2.5 miles to 1 inch, by John Cary, London, 1789; edition 1805.
"Hill Top"
house symbol; large house 
item:-  JandMN : 129
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   road book:- Cary 1798 (2nd edn 1802) 
placename:-  Hill Top
source data:-   Road book, itineraries, Cary's New Itinerary, by John Cary, 181 Strand, London, 2nd edn 1802.
image CY38p317, button  goto source
image  click to enlarge
page 317-318  "On r. about 2 Miles from Kendal is Hill Top, John Davison, Esq."
item:-  JandMN : 228.1
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Holme Park School
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Large house, now school. Probably C18 core (appears on 1770 Westmorland map) remodelled early C19 (1809 date, with "SEWARD" above, painted on stained glass window commemorating Trafalgar in fanlight over porch door); later additions and alterations. Wet-dashed rubble. Graduated slate roofs. Mainly 2 storeys; house originally 9 bays overall and symmetrical. Central full height, flat-roofed, canted porch has panelled double door in architrave; windows sashes with glazing bars in architraves. Moulded cast iron guttering. Stone chimneys. Courtyard range adjoins west end of house; former single-storey billiard room adjoins east end. Interior is decorative with good plasterwork; curved stair has cast iron splats. Range of buildings adjoining to east of billiard room not of interest."

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.