button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Michael, Nether Wasdale
St Michael and All Angels Church
Nether Wasdale Church
Wasdale Church
locality:-   Nether Wasdale
civil parish:-   Nether Wasdale (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY12480407
1Km square:-   NY1204
10Km square:-   NY10
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BQN95.jpg (taken 11.5.2009)  
CDW42.jpg (taken 6.9.2015)  

evidence:-   old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H
source data:-   Map of the English Lakes, in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
cross, a church 
item:-  JandMN : 82.1
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old text:- Martineau 1855
source data:-   Guide book, A Complete Guide to the English Lakes, by Harriet Martineau, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, and by Whittaker and Co, London, 1855; published 1855-76.
image MNU1P114, button  goto source
Page 114:-  "... and passing the church,- so small and domestic-looking as to appear like a house, ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
United benefice with Wastdale, but separate parish. 
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Chapel of St Bees
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHAPEL OF ST BEES / / / WASDALE / COPELAND / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 76280 / NY1248404074"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish Church, originally Chapel of St Bees (dedication uncertain). Said to date from C15; north aisle added 1830. Later additions and alterations. Pebble-dashed rubble. Graduated slate roof with outshut to north aisle; stone copings with bellcote to west end and apex cross to east. Single cell with north aisle. Single storey. Plank door with window to left and 2 to right, all 2-light. Interior: North arcade of elliptical arches carried between monolithic stone columns with stop chamfers and octagonal caps. Similar plaster transverse arches to main body of church springing from corbels bearing winged heads. Decorative plaster bosses to each bay, some foliate, others with open bible, star of David and (over altar) dove in sunburst. Royal coat-of-arms of George III, in plaster on west wall, suggests early C19 date for plasterwork. Richly carved panelling behind altar is C17, brought from York Minster after 1829 fire there; pulpit to left has similar carving. C19 texts on wall to either side of east window; remains of C18 texts on south wall."

 sentences from scripture

Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BQN97.jpg  Royal coat of arms, George III.
(taken 11.5.2009)  
CDW44.jpg  Kneeler at altar rail..
(taken 6.9.2015)  
CDW48.jpg  Felted cushion.
(taken 6.9.2015)  
CDW49.jpg  Felted cushion.
(taken 6.9.2015)  
CDW50.jpg  Felted cushion.
(taken 6.9.2015)  

The maypole in the churchyard was set up to commemorate the jubilee of Victoria, 1897.

person:-    : Ritson, Wil
place:-   burial place

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.