button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
All Saints, Allhallows (2)
All Saints Church
locality:-   Mealsgate
civil parish:-   Allhallows (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church (disused) 
coordinates:-   NY20374184
1Km square:-   NY2041
10Km square:-   NY24
references:-   Listed Buildings 2010

CGH67.jpg (taken 4.8.2017)  
CGH69.jpg (taken 4.8.2017)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 36 7) 
placename:-  All Saints' Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"All Saints' Church (Per Curacy) / Grave Yard"

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of All Saints
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Disused parish church. C12 with restorations originally dated L.S. 1587 (Salkeld) and G.M. 1862 (George Moore) but both stones now missing. Mixed sandstone and limestone rubble partly coursed, C19 addition with flush quoins. Graduated greenslate roof. 2-bay nave in ruins and 2-bay chancel with south side chapel. Nave has collapsed walls above sill height and interior filled with fallen rubble. Chancel has one north original narrow round-headed window, much repaired, all others are C19, the east window being 3-light under hoodmould. Chapel has 3-light south window and west entrance. Chancel arch is Norman and has been blocked."
"INTERIOR has C16 timber roof trusses. C17 communion rail and early medieval tub-shaped font with incised collar lines. Wall plaques to Thomas Denton of Warnell 1697 and Thomas Moore by John Adams of Acton. Iron rails separate side chapel from chancel. Chapel was built by George Moore for his wife who died in 1858. Made redundant when new church was built 1897-1899 and now only used once a year."


 sentences from scripture

CGH71.jpg "The church was built / by Lancelot Salkeld, / of White Hall A.D. 1587. / And restored by George / Moore of the same place / A.D. 1862." (taken 4.8.2017)  
CGH75.jpg  Roof timbers.
(taken 4.8.2017)  
CGH68.jpg (taken 4.8.2017)  
CGH78.jpg (taken 4.8.2017)  

A church was built here between 1154-1189. And a new building? built by Lancelot Salkeld, 1587. In the 19th century it became a parish church. There was major restoration in 1862. Most of the old church was demolished 1935; leaving the chancel and attached mortuary chapel.

:: church leaflet

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.