chapel, Grange-over-Sands | ||
Street:- | Kents Bank Road | |
locality:- | Grange-over-Sands | |
civil parish:- | Grange-over-Sands (formerly Lancashire) | |
county:- | Cumbria | |
locality type:- | methodist chapel | |
locality type:- | chapel | |
coordinates:- | SD40607781 | |
1Km square:- | SD4077 | |
10Km square:- | SD47 | |
references:- | Listed Buildings 2010 |
|
|
||
BYR92.jpg (taken 5.7.2013) |
||
|
||
evidence:- | database:- Listed Buildings 2010 |
|
source data:- | courtesy of English Heritage "METHODIST CHURCH / / KENTS BANK ROAD / GRANGE OVER SANDS / SOUTH LAKELAND / CUMBRIA / II / 460519 / SD4057877795" |
|
source data:- | courtesy of English Heritage "Methodist church. 1874 by Ernest Bates, with later C19 additions. Snecked limestone rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings and slate roofs. STYLE: C13/14 Gothic. PLAN: the orientation is reversed, with the pews facing towards a sanctuary at the west end. Comprises a 4-bay nave, an east porch under a lean-to roof (with doors to the north and south), a chancel-like projection at the west end which originally contained an organ chamber above a vestry, an added vestry projecting northwards from the western bay of the nave, and school rooms projecting towards the south. The latter were also extended later in the C19." "EXTERIOR: the nave windows, which are separated by buttresses, are each of 3 trefoiled lights and have plate tracery of a trefoil and 2 quatrefoils. The east gable is coped with a cross finial and the porch is lit by mullioned windows of 2-3-2 lights. A foundation stone below is inscribed: 'This stone was laid by Mrs Alexander Brogden Sept 11th 1874. Ernest Bates, Architect, Manchester.' The east window of the nave is of 6 lights with Geometrical tracery. The east wall of the school room has a window of 3 trefoiled lancet lights rising into a gable, with 2-light windows to left and right. At the left there is a porch with a hipped roof." "INTERIOR: the internal walls are plastered and the arch-braced roof trusses have iron tie rods and have wall posts rising from corbelled shafts with rough stone capitals: like the external hood mould stops the intended carving was never carried out. At the west end there is a pointed chamfered arch divided horizontally by a blind arcade. Below, a wall contains 2 doorways to the former vestry. Above are the front pipes of the organ, now no longer functional. The pulpit and sanctuary railings are in oak in a Gothic style and are C20 replacements." |
|
|