button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
meeting house, Allonby
Allonby Meeting House
Quaker Meeting House
locality:-   Allonby
civil parish:-   Allonby (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   meeting house
locality type:-   quaker meeting
coordinates:-   NY08164337
1Km square:-   NY0843
10Km square:-   NY04
references:-   Butler 1978

BZV06.jpg (taken 7.2.2014)  
BZV07.jpg  Seat.
(taken 7.2.2014)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 35 2) 
placename:-  Friends Meeting House
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"Friends Meeting House"

evidence:-   text:- 
placename:-  Allonby Meeting House
source data:-   : : Quaker Administrative History "ALLONBY, Cumb, after 1974 Cumbr ... NY082435"
"1668-1964 ... Holm MM"
"1965-1990 ... Carlisle &Holm MM"

evidence:-   old map:- Backhouse 1773
placename:-  Allonby meeting
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, Map of the Meetings belonging to the Quarterly Meetings of Lancaster, Westmorland, Cumberland, Northumberland, Durham and York, scale about 9 miles to 1 inch, by James Backhouse, engraved by Thomas Kitchin, published by James Backhouse, Darlington, Durham, 1773.
labelled:-  "Allonby / 7.5"
meeting day Thursday 
nearby market day Saturday 
item:-  private collection : 224
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   drawing:- Butler 1978
placename:-  Allonby Meeting House
source data:-   Allonby Meeting House drawn by David Butler and published in Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties by David M Butler, by the Friends Historical Society, 1978
courtesy of David Butler
image  click to enlarge
item:-  private collection : 377
Image © Friends Historical Society

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Cottage now Quaker Meeting House. C17 cottage converted to meeting house 1703 and extended 1732. Painted rendered walls, under graduated greenslate roof. Single-storey, 2-bay former cottage with lower 2-bay extension to left. Panelled door with overlight in pilastered doorcase under pediment. Blank front and side walls. Rear has sash windows with glazing bars in painted stone surrounds. Interior has panelled screen separating Women's and Men's rooms. See D.M. Butler, Quaker Meeting Houses of the Lake Counties, 1978, pp.32-34."

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.