button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Michael, Beetham
St Michael and All Angels Church
Beetham Church
St Lioba's Church
locality:-   Beetham
civil parish:-   Beetham (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   SD49617957
1Km square:-   SD4979
10Km square:-   SD47
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BJR94.jpg (taken 12.8.2005)  
BVT93.jpg (taken 6.1.2012)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 46 7) 
placename:-  St Michael's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St. Michael's Church (Vicarage) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
placename:-  Betham Church
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G825A515, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1825 part 1 p.515  "Compendium of County History. - Westmorland."
"IN BETHAM Church are the monuments of Sir Thomas de Betham and lady. - Of this parish was Vicar Mr. William Hutton, who wrote a folio book of collections for a history of the parish, which he deposited in the vestry for the information of posterity; with blank pages to be filled up as materials should occur."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   site plan:- Historical Monuments 1936
source data:-   Site plan, uncoloured lithograph, Haverbrack, The Parish Church of St Michael, Beetham, Westmorland, scale about 1 to 290, published by Royal Commission on Historical Monuments England, London, 1936.
image  click to enlarge
On p.102 of the Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. 
RCHME no. Wmd, Haverbrack 1 
item:-  Armitt Library : A745.71
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Michael
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church. Probably C12; South aisle added c.1200, chancel extended to East C13, Beetham Chapel added C14, North aisle added and South aisle widened C15, top stage of Tower added C16. Restored and south porch added 1873-74 (R.C.H.M.). Rubble walls, mainly limestone, with sandstone dressings; lead roofs. West Tower; Nave with aisles, Chancel, North Vestry and South Chapel incorporated in rectangular plan. 2-stage battlemented Tower with crocketed corner pinnacles. C14 doorway with 2-centred arch in West wall and window above with 2 trefoiled ogee lights in 2-centred head with moulded label; loop lights to all but East side; bell-chamber, slightly corbelled out, has 3-light C16 windows with elliptical-headed lights under moulded labels; C20 weathervane. East wall has late C19 5-light central window. 3-light C15 window to North aisle with cinquefoiled lights in 4-centred head with moulded label (most other C15 windows similar). 3-light C15 window in South aisle has cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in 4-centred head with moulded label. Stone gabled porch: doorway with pointed-arched head and hoodmould; inserted door to right with memorial to Richd Hadwin d.1779 over; 3 3-light C15 windows and one 2-light window c.1400 to left of it and one C14 window and 2 c.1400 to right. West wall has 3-light C15 window to left of Tower and 2-light late C14 window,with trefoiled ogee lights with moulded label,to right. North side has doorway with pointed-arched head and 5 3-light C15 windows. Interior has early C16 9-bay roof with cambered and chamfered tie beams, partly restored to Chancel and Nave; late C15 or early C16 12-bay pent roof to North aisle with moulded principals. In Beetham Chapel are remnants of late medieval heraldic glass. Other glass mainly C19 and C20,notably East window by Clayton Bell to William Hutton died 1881; early C20 martyrs' window in North aisle with Charles I flanked by St Oswald and St Alban; 4th window from East in South aisle by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster and London. This window also has a black stone memorial urn dated 1811. See R.C.H.M. pp.101-103 and plate 97."

 ring of bells

Eruvin  1080 -  
Duresme, William de  1369 -  
Thweng, Thomas de  1370 -  
Bryan, Thomas  1439 -  
Godney, Thomas  1439 -  
Pakenham, Hugh  1439 -  
Dykinson, Richard, Sir  1542 -  
Halstead, Edward  1603 -  
Fisher, Edward  1612 -  
Bennison, George  1642 -  
Brockbank, John  1665 -  
Jackson, William  1670 -  
Smyth, James  1709 -  
Wilson, Daniel  1753 -  
Hutton, William  1762 -  
Thexton, Joseph  1812 -  
Hutton, William  1844 -  
Cole, George  1881 -  
Slack, Austin Ainsworth  1897 -  
Close, John Ormandy  1904 -  
Balleine, Alfred John  1907 -  

 scratch dial

 scratch dial (2)

Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BVT96.jpg  Organ.
(taken 6.1.2012)  
BVT97.jpg  OrganL-
"FORSTER &ANDREWS / HULL . 1876" (taken 6.1.2012)  
BVT92.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 6.1.2012)  
CBI49.jpg  Effigies of Sir Robert de Middleton of Leighton Hall, and wife Anne, daughter of Roger Beetham, late 15th century; vandalised by a mob, 1647.
(taken 1.8.2014)  
BVT95.jpg  Memorial, Daniel Wilson died mid 18th century.
(taken 6.1.2012)  
BVT99.jpg  Memorial, William Hutton, compiler of The Repository, and dialect Bran New Wark.
(taken 6.1.2012)  
BQL35.jpg (taken 26.4.2009)  
BJR97.jpg  A group of mid 19th century gravestones.
(taken 12.8.2005)  

A stone church, perhaps a successor to a wooden building, has stood here since the early Norman period. The oldest parts of the church that are seen today date to the 11th and 12th centuries. Church mostly 12th century; south aisle added, about 1200; chancel extended, 13th century; Beetham Chapel added, 14th century; north aisle added, south aisle widened, 15th century; tower raised, 16th century. There are older foundations under the present church. There was a major restoration in 1872-74 which was fortunately sensitive the qualities of the existing building.

Webster, Norman W & Buchanan, Alex (ed): 2008 (4th end) &1995: Beetham and the Parish Church of Saint Michael and All Angels

When established the church was dedicated to St Lioba. She is celebrated on 28 September. The church was dedicated to St Michael and All Angels after the Norman Conquest.

Old sundial on the chapel doorway ?scratch dial, and a scratch dial on a buttress.

The turret clock in the tower was made by T and E Rhodes, Kendal, 1876. There are three trains; time and strike were eight day, the chimes were 4 day. The chimes are now worked by a separate mechanism made by J Smith and Sons, Midland Steam Works, Derby; and the chimes weight is mechanised so that winding is now only needed once a week.

Paley and Austin series
person:-   architect
 : Paley, Edward G
person:-   architect
 : Austin, Hubert J
date:-   1872
 to 1874
Restoration work, including a ?new porch.

person:-    : St Michael
person:-    : All Angels
place:-   Beetham / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.