button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Kentigern, Castle Sowerby
St Kentigern's Church
Castle Sowerby Church
locality:-   Castle Sowerby
civil parish:-   Castle Sowerby (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY38003615
1Km square:-   NY3836
10Km square:-   NY33
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BLR12.jpg (taken 9.3.2006)  
BRC69.jpg (taken 19.7.2009)  

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 notes about bells

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Kentigern
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN / / / CASTLE SOWERBY / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 73726 / NY3799936145"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish church. C12 with C13, C14, C15 and C17 alterations and additions; with restorations of 1821, and 1888 by C.J. Ferguson. Whitewashed rubble walls with west buttresses, under graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 5-bay nave and south aisle with south porch and twin open bellcote. 2-bay chancel. North wall of nave has C17 2- and 3-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned windows, one without chamfers and one original pointed-arched window between the two eastern windows. Aisle has re-used round-arched doorway within a C14 stone porch. C17 2-light hollow-chamfered windows under moulded parapet. East wall of aisle has blocked pointed-arched window. Chancel has north lancet windows; south C15 or C16 priest's doorway and larger pointed-arched windows. C19 east window is flanked by blocked lancets. Interior of nave has 5-bay aisle of pointed arches on octagonal columns. C18 or C19 open timber roof. C18 creed and pater boards were probably put up at same time as Royal Arms of George II dated 1752. White marble wall plaques to Richard Richardson of Whamhead, 1796; Jane Mitchell of Whamhead, 1868 and George Burnthwaite of Lamonby, 1780. Re-cut red sandstone font bowl dated 1671(?) on C19 stem. Aisle has 2 aumbry recesses. Chancel: remains of south respond for removed chancel arch. C13 piscina. Open timber C16 or C17 roof of king-post trusses. White marble wall plaque to Rev Joseph Hudson, 1811, by Kirkbride of Carlisle. C19 stained glass east window. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian &Archaeological Society, new series, lxxiii, pp,170-189."

BVD16.jpg (taken 5.8.2011)  

BRC70.jpg  Coat of arms, George II, 1757?
(taken 19.7.2009)  
BVD13.jpg  Parish chest.
(taken 5.8.2011)  
BVD14.jpg  Safe.
(taken 5.8.2011)  
BVD15.jpg  Safe, maker:-
"[PORTER CARLISLE]" (taken 5.8.2011)  
BRC67.jpg (taken 19.7.2009)  
BLR13.jpg (taken 9.3.2006)  

BVD10.jpg  Grave stone with bronze plate.
(taken 5.8.2011)  
BVD11.jpg  Grave stone with bronze plate.
(taken 5.8.2011)  

The original building dates from the 12th century, a nave and chancel. It was extended in the 13th century; south aisle and porch added, late 16th century; repairs and alterations, when the norman chancel arch was removed, 18th century; the nave re-roofed, 1889.
The church adjoins a well associated with St Kentigern, who travelled here, baptising converts, about AD700.

: : church leaflet

person:-    : St Kentigern
place:-   Castle Sowerby / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.