button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Andrew, Thursby
St Andrew's Church
Thursby Church
Street:-   Church Lane
locality:-   Thursby
civil parish:-   Thursby (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY32415028
1Km square:-   NY3250
10Km square:-   NY35
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BZP20.jpg (taken 1.11.2013)  
BZP21.jpg (taken 1.11.2013)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 29 4) 
placename:-  St Andrew's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St Andrew's Church (Vicarage) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Burrow 1920s
source data:-   Road book, On the Road, Dunlop Pictorial Road Plans, volume V, strip maps with parts in Westmorland, Cumberland etc, irregular scale about 1.5 miles to 1 inch, by E J Burrow and Co, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, 1920s.
item:-  private collection : 17
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass

 ring of bells

evidence:-   old painting:- 
placename:-  Thursby Church
source data:-   Painting, watercolour, Thursby Church from the South East, St Andrew's Church, Thursby, Cumberland, by Robert Carlyle snr, 1791.
image  click to enlarge
Included in an album The Antiquities of the City of Carlisle. View of Thursby Church from the south east showing the graveyard in the foreground. 
inscribed at bottom centre:-  "THURSBY CHURCH from the S.E.-"
signed at bottom left:-  "Robert Carlile. del."
item:-  Tullie House Museum : 1978.108.77.20
Image © Tullie House Museum

William  1175 -  
Burton, Henry de  1190 -  
Abingdon, Richard de  1298 -  
Boyville, Robert de  1316 -  
Paye, Richard  1366 -  
Thoresby, John  1465 -  
Arloshe, Edward  1518 -  
Monk, Thomas  1570 -  
Walles, William  1600 -  
Peale, Christopher  1622 -  
Hamilton, John  1662 -  
Savage, Richard  1673 -  
Stalker, Thomas  1680 -  
Theobaldes, George  1681 -  
Preston, Matthew  1685 -  
White, Joseph  1669 -  
Storey, John  1726 -  
Halliday, William  1731 -  
Nicholson, Thomas  1771 -  
Robinson, Nicholas  1774 -  
Brown, John  1785 -  
Briggs, William  1813 -  
Huntley, James Webster  1830 -  
Golling, William  1878 -  
Ford, Harold Dudsworth  1908 -  

BZP25.jpg  Royal coat of arms.
(taken 1.11.2013)  
BZP23.jpg  Parish chect.
(taken 1.11.2013)  
BZP24.jpg  Parish chect.
(taken 1.11.2013)  
BZP30.jpg  The Paley Pulpit.
(taken 1.11.2013)  
BZP28.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 1.11.2013)  
BZP22.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 1.11.2013)  
BZP29.jpg  Carlisle Deanery banner
(taken 1.11.2013)  
BPN55.jpg (taken 26.7.2008)  

There is said to have been a wooden church built about 600; replaced by a stone church built 1124. This second church had a chancel taller than the nave. It was demolished 1836 and the present church built 1846 at the charge of a parish rate and a donation by the Brisco Family. New pews were installed in 1878.
The 'Paley Pulpit' dates from the late 18th century; William Paley was archdeacon 1782-95. The pulpit was taken from Carlisle Cathedral and given to the church by Dean Close, 1878.

person:-    : St Andrew
place:-   Thursby / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.