button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Andrew, Crosby Garrett
St Andrew's Church
Crosby Garrett Church
locality:-   Crosby Garrett
civil parish:-   Crosby Garrett (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY72990972
1Km square:-   NY7209
10Km square:-   NY70
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BNL90.jpg (taken 30.3.2007)  
BNL92.jpg (taken 30.3.2007)  

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
linked with Soulby 
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   site plan:- Historical Monuments 1936
source data:-   Site plan, uncoloured lithograph, Crosby Garrett Parish Church of St Andrew, Crosby Garrett, Westmorland, scale about 1 to 290, published by Royal Commission on Historical Monuments England, London, 1936.
image  click to enlarge
On p.73 of the Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. 
RCHME no. Wmd, Crosby Garrett 1 
item:-  Armitt Library : A745.49
Image © see bottom of page

 notes about bells

 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Andrew
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHURCH OF ST ANDREW / / / CROSBY GARRETT / EDEN / CUMBRIA / I / 72964 / NY7299409715"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church of England, Cll and later. Coursed, squared rubble with plinth (chamfered in parts) and various types of buttressing. Graduated slate roofs; nave has stone copings and low parapets, chancel has stone copings with apex cross and embattled pinnacles to base at east. 1874 rebuilt bell-tower at west end is corbelled out and has low, slated, pyramidal roof with parapet and corner pinnacles. 3 bay nave and 2 bay chancel. North aisle rebuilt under separate gabled roof in 1866. 3 windows to north wall and 1, with oculus above, to each end; all have semicircular heads with 'romanesque' chevron. Chancel rebuilt and enlarged in C14; north window has pointed head; south has pointed head and paired lights with transom embattled externally (probably a low-side window as the 2 lower lights have internal rebates for shutters). C14 priest's door to south has pointed head and continuously moulded surround. North vestry added 1745. East window rebuilt 1883. 2 windows to south nave wall of different dates; east is C16, square-headed with 2 lights and west is late C14, square-headed with 2 ogee traceried lights; both have hoodmoulds with label stops. Gabled south porch has roof-truss dated 1662 and narrow stone benches to sides internally; both inner and outer doors have continuously moulded surrounds with pointed heads, inner door is C17 panelled. Internally, nave is plastered. All windows have deep splays. C12 columns and responds have moulded bases on plinth blocks; their capitals have waterleaf, volute, animal and human head decoration. Square abaci carry unmoulded, double order, semicircular arches with a continuous chamfered hoodmould. 4 corbels to east bay above arch. C15 low, pointed chancel arch has 2 chamfered orders springing from corbels. Large squint from north aisle through into chancel. Narrow blocked opening with semicircular head to west wall of chancel and stub of early north wall are possibly Cll. Small lamp niche with semicircular (re-use early window?) head in south-west corner. C13 trefoil-headed piscina with octofoil drain to south wall and medieval aumbrey to north; blocked windows to both walls. Font in nave had C17/C18 rectangular bowl with moulded sides (now, 1983, demounted; on floor in north aisle); supporting octagonal shaft has moulded blocks with chamfered corners to top and bottom. Chancel floor raised up level with nave floor in 1860's; oak communion rail is C17 with turned ballusters. Late C19 hexagonal wooden pulpit on moulded stone base. R.C.H.M. details 2 bells, one C13 and one C14 with inscription in Lombardic capitals."


Burg sub Mora, Thomas de  1296 - 1297 
Richard  1317 -  
Colstone, William 
Sandford, Henry de  1355 -  
Calve, John de  1382 -  
Wynton, William  1422 -  
Spenser, William  1449 -  
Musgrave, Charles  1535 -  
Shaw, Lancelot  - 1595 
Fallowfield, Richard  1595 -  
Mauleverer, Edmund  1636 -  
Bousfield, Edward  1645 -  
Jackson, Christopher  1657 -  
Mauleverer, Edmund  1660 -  
Denton, Thomas  1663 -  
Forster, Joseph  1702 -  
Lamb, James  1713 -  
Bird, William  1717 -  
Bird, James  1742 -  
Fenton, James  1763 -  
Bird, William  1769 -  
Newby, Mark  1833 -  
Smith, Isaac  1861 -  
Ridley, George  1871 -  
Phillips, Robert  1911 -  

BNL96.jpg  A green man?
(taken 30.3.2007)  
BXA38.jpg  Squint from a side chapel.
(taken 3.8.2012)  
BXA36.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 30.3.2007)  
BXA41.jpg  Banner.
(taken 30.3.2007)  
BXA37.jpg  Harmonium.
(taken 3.8.2012)  
BXA40.jpg  Parish chest.
(taken 3.8.2012)  
CCK96.jpg  Poor box.
(taken 17.2.2015)  
BNL94.jpg  The Village Library
(taken 30.3.2007)  
BNL95.jpg  The Village Library
(taken 30.3.2007)  
CCK89.jpg  Timbers in the porch:-
"MY 1662" (taken 17.2.2015)  
BXA34.jpg  Weathervane.
(taken 3.8.2012)  
BNL91.jpg (taken 30.3.2007)  
BNM02.jpg  Cut bench mark.
(taken 30.3.2007)  

BXA32.jpg  Seat, and shepherd's crooks.
(taken 3.8.2012)  
BNM03.jpg (taken 30.3.2007)  

There was a church here before the norman conquest. The chancel arch dates from the 11th century; the nave from the 12th century; the chancel from the 14th century; vestry, the 18th century; the north aisle is 'modern'. And various parts of the church were altered or repaired at various times.

: : church leaflet

person:-    : St Andrew
place:-   Crosby Garrett / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.