button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
All Saints, Raughton Head
All Saints Church
Raughton Head Church
locality:-   Raughton Head
civil parish:-   Dalston (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY37934557
1Km square:-   NY3745
10Km square:-   NY34
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BNH96.jpg (taken 9.3.2007)  
BNH97.jpg (taken 9.3.2007)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 30 15) 
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"Church (Per Curacy) / Grave Yard"
next SE is  "Chapel House / sundial"

evidence:-   old map:- Donald 1774 (Cmd) 
placename:-  Roughtonhead Chapel
source data:-   Map, hand coloured engraving, 3x2 sheets, The County of Cumberland, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by Thomas Donald, engraved and published by Joseph Hodskinson, 29 Arundel Street, Strand, London, 1774.
"Roughtonhead Chap."
block or blocks, labelled in lowercase; a hamlet or just a house and church 
item:-  Carlisle Library : Map 2
Image © Carlisle Library

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass


evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Raughton Head Church
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Chapel now Church. East-wall inscription THIS CHAPEL WAS REBUILT A.D.1761, JOHN BEWLEY, CURATE, GEO MARTINDALE, JOHN SANDERSON, CHAPEL WARDENS; also built into east wall the lintel from the earlier chapel inscribed EDW CARLIOL ME CONSECRAVIT JULY 21 1678; additions of 1881, dated by brass plaque on vestry door. Mixed red and calciferous sandstone rubble with red sandstone V-jointed quoins on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; flat roof on tower. Large square west 2-storey tower/porch; 5-bay nave/chancel with north vestry. West entrance in quoined surround with keystone; narrow round-headed window above. Upper part of tower of 1881 with Norman style louvred vents. Semicircular stair turret projects from north wall. Nave/chancel: large C18 leaded windows in round-arched surrounds with keystones. Tripartite east window. 1881 north vestry. Interior: parts of the chancel screen and panelling may be reused wood from box pews. Pulpit made of reused carved oak panel with Latin inscription and M.W. 1628. Carved oak Bishop's seat is dated 1884. Oak panelled chest with initials G.C. and date 1715. Various white marble wall plaques, one to the Reverend Robert Monkhouse of 1822 by Musgrave Lewthwaite Watson. Late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Seating of 1881."


Simpson, George  1700 -  
Wilson, Richard  1705 -  
Holme, William  1713 -  
Richardson, Thomas  1718 -  
Johnson, Isaac  1724 -  
Clark, Abraham  1726 -  
Mandevil, Richard  1731 -  
Bewley, John  1751 -  
Hindson, Joseph  1774 -  
Denton, Henry  1787 -  
Monkhouse, William  1789 -  
Monkhouse, Henry  1828 -  
Kitching, John  1840 -  
Cheese, Edward  1858 -  
Malden, Clifton  1860 -  
MacCartie, Joseph  1865 -  
Richmond, Thomas Knyvett  1874 -  
Carter, John  1878 -  
Dewick, Francis Ernest  1901 -  
Stones, Frank Deighton  1910 -  

BNH98.jpg  Organ, 1881.
(taken 9.3.2007)  
BZL89.jpg  Banner.
(taken 18.10.2013)  
BZM56.jpg  Pulpit
(taken 18.10.2013)  
BZM57.jpg  Pulpit, inscription:-
"DONUM M W / ANO. D 1628" (taken 18.10.2013)  
BZM58.jpg  Chest.
(taken 18.10.2013)  
Click to enlarge
CDQ76.jpg  Plan of church and churchyard.
(taken 14.8.2015)  
CDQ77.jpg  Boot scraper.
(taken 14.8.2015)  

This was once a chapel of ease to Castle Sowerby. Being in ruins it was rebuilt in 1678; it was restored again 1760; and again 1881, when the tower was built.
Up to 1936 it had no name; in that year it was dedicated to All Saints by Bishop Williams.

: : church leaflet

person:-    : All Saints
place:-   Raughton Head / Carlisle Diocese

person:-   poet
 : Blamire, Susanna
place:-   burial place
date:-   1794

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.