button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
All Saints, Orton
All Saints Church
Orton Church
locality:-   Orton
civil parish:-   Orton S (formerly Westmorland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY62220839
1Km square:-   NY6208
10Km square:-   NY60
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BLX65.jpg  The tower newly rendered and coloured white.
(taken 21.4.2006)  
BLX68.jpg (taken 21.4.2006)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Wmd 21 16) 
placename:-  All Saints Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"All Saints Church (Vicarage) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old map:- Jefferys 1770 (Wmd) 
source data:-   Map, 4 sheets, The County of Westmoreland, scale 1 inch to 1 mile, surveyed 1768, and engraved and published by Thomas Jefferys, London, 1770.
item:-  National Library of Scotland : EME.s.47
Image © National Library of Scotland

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   site plan:- Historical Monuments 1936
source data:-   Site plan, uncoloured lithograph, Orton The Parish Church of All Saints, Orton, Orton S, Westmorland, scale about 1 to 290, published by Royal Commission on Historical Monuments England, London, 1936.
image  click to enlarge
On p.188 of the Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Westmorland. 
RCHME no. Wmd, Orton 1 
item:-  Armitt Library : A745.115
Image © see bottom of page

 stained glass


evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of All Saints
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS / / B6260 / ORTON / EDEN / CUMBRIA / II[star] / 74091 / NY6221408395"
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish Church. Various dates from late C12. Chancel and north nave aisle rebuilt during 1878 restoration by Paley & Austin. Nave and tower stone blocks on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses; chancel ashlar. Shallow-pitch lead roof over nave and south aisle; graduated slate roofs to north aisle and chancel. West tower, 3-bay nave, aisleless chancel. Early C16 three-stage castellated tower. Gabled porch in 1st nave bay on south side is dated 1607. Nave aisle windows all 3 segment-headed lights under hoodmoulds with labels (south aisle windows are early C16). Parapet. Lancet windows to chancel. Interior: Arcades of squat, wide pointed arches; late C12 pier and respond in east bay of south arcade formed part of original crossing. Late C15/early C16 roof timbers to nave and aisles. Octagonal stone font dated 1662 with initials D.W. &M.O. Piscina in trefoil-arched recess at east end of south aisle. 1695 Royal Arms painted on panel over entrance. 3 bells on frame in north aisle, one cast c.1530 by John Woolley of Nottingham, others dated 1637. Good C19 glass. For dated plan and detailed architectural description see 1936 R.C.H.M. Westmorland"

 ring of bells

Barnard Castle, Richard de, Sir  1293 -  
Henry  1302 -  
Appleby, Thomas de 
Wessington, Richard de  1338 -  
Berdeshay, Robert de, Sir  1373 -  
Bell, Thomas, Sir  1374 -  
Birkbeck, William  1455 -  
Lorde, Thomas  1534 -  
Machel, Philip  1573 -  
Corney, Robert  1573 -  
Atkinson, Henry  1594 -  
Corney, John  1595 -  
Fothergill, George  1643 -  
Kenyon, Robert  1662 -  
Nelson, Thomas  1703 -  
Burn, Richard  1736 -  
Redman, John  1786 -  
Milner, Robert  1802 -  
Sisson, John S  1849 -  
Holme, Edward  1882 -  
Blackett, Harvey  1902 -  

evidence:-   old print:- Pennant 1773 (edn 1801) 
placename:-  Overton Church
source data:-   Print, engraving, Overton Church, All Saints Church, Orton, Westmorland, drawn by Moses Griffith, engraved by S Sparrow, published by Edward Harding, 98 Pall Mall, London, 1801.
image  click to enlarge
Tipped in opposite p.122 of A Tour from Downing to Alston Moor, 1773, by Thomas Pennant. 
printed at bottom left, right, centre:-  "Moses Griffith. Del. / S. Sparrow. Sc / OVERTON CHURCH / Pub June 1 1801 by Edw Harding 98 Pall Mall."
item:-  Armitt Library : A1057.14
Image © see bottom of page

Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BLX67.jpg  Coat of arms, William III, 1695.
(taken 21.4.2006)  
BQV65.jpg  List of charities
(taken 18.6.2009)  
BLX70.jpg  Organ by Wilkinson and Sons, Kendal.
(taken 21.4.2006)  
BLX71.jpg  Organ pipes
(taken 21.4.2006)  
BQV67.jpg  Organ by Wilkinson and Sons, Kendal.
(taken 18.6.2009)  
BQV68.jpg  Kneeler.
(taken 18.6.2009)  
BTW07.jpg  Parish chest, said to have been made from a tree from Lowther Park, bound with iron bands, locked by three padlocks.
(taken 31.12.2010)  
BTW14.jpg  Parish chest.
(taken 31.12.2010)  
BVH36.jpg  Mothers Union banner.
(taken 31.12.2010)  

MN photo:-  
Memorials to members of the Burn Family.

BTW12.jpg  Dr Richard Burn, died 1785:-
"SACRED / To the Memory of / RICHARD BURN, LL.D. / For nine Years VICAR of this Parish / And more than Twenty CHANCELLOR of the Diocese. / He was an impartial Magistrate, / An able Divine of [ bled] Piety, / A learned and [honest] Man: / Not less distinguished for his Knowledge and Labours / In the Civil and Ecclesiastical Laws of this Kingdom / Than for his acute investigation of the History / And Antiquities of this County, / Conspicuous for his Judgement, Probity, and [Conscience] / And the general complacency of his Manners, / Affable and chearful in Conversation, / Sincere and steady in his Attachments, / His improved endowments rendered him / An Ornament to his Country: / His Disposition endeared him to his Friends, / In Health / He was unremitting in the discharge / Of his Parochial Duties, / In Sickness, / Calm, Patient, and Resigned. / He Died 12. Nov. MDCCLXXXV / Aged 73. / ANNE, his WIFE Died 7. Jan. MDCCLXX / Aged 73. / She fulfilled the important relative Duties, / Of Wife, Mother, and Neighbour, / With propriety worthy the imitation / of Posterity." (taken 31.12.2010)  
BTW13.jpg  Dr Richard Burn, died 1785, coat of arms.
(taken 31.12.2010)  
BTW15.jpg  John Burn, son of Dr Richard Burn, died 1802.
(taken 31.12.2010)  
BTW10.jpg  Richard Burn, died 1898.
(taken 31.12.2010)  
BTW11.jpg  Richard Burn, died 1898, coat of arms.
(taken 31.12.2010)  

There was probably a primitive building in early times. The present church was built in the early 13th century; tradition says it had a tower and spire at the crossing. It was a cruciform shape but aisles have been added. The west tower was added about 1504, when the north aisle was added; a south aisle was added later; a porch was added in 1607; chancel rebuilt, and other repairs, by Paley and Austin, 1878. In the victorian restoration the existing lime wash was removed from the church tower, and ever since, it leaked, causing structural damage. The lime wash has been restored, about 2006, and now the church seems to be weathertight again.

: : church leaflet

Paley and Austin series
person:-   architect
 : Paley, Edward G
person:-   architect
 : Austin, Hubert J
date:-   1877
 to 1878
Restoration and enlargement.

person:-   authorantiquarian
 : Burn, Richard
place:-   burial place

person:-    : All Saints
place:-   Orton / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.