button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
All Saints, Boltongate
All Saints Church
Boltons Church
Boltongate Church
locality:-   Boltongate
civil parish:-   Boltons (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY22954077
1Km square:-   NY2240
10Km square:-   NY24
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BNX43.jpg (taken 15.8.2007)  
BNX44.jpg (taken 15.8.2007)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 36 12) 
placename:-  All Saints' Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"All Saints' Church (Rectory) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
item:-  coat of armsstained glass
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G867A065, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1867 part 1 p.65  "The Peerages, Blazon, and Genealogy."
"... another development which has grown apace lately, the emblazoning of false arms in memorial windows, !Ad Gloriam Dei!" Of this worst species of lie, we fear too many examples are to be found throughout the land. Glasgow Cathedral in its restored beauty is unfortunately somewhat marred by it; and the latest accounts we have of the ever recurring Gallovidian "House of Coulthart" presents us with a woodcut of a window in the church of Bolton-le-Gate, Cumberland, comprising, besides "figures of Zacharias, Amos, and Jeremias," the coat "quarterly of eight" ascribed to the late "William Coulthart, Esq. of Coulthart." Surely the angels in the upper tracery of the widow must weep as being thus made to share in a sham! We venture to feel pretty confident that this window would not have been put up within Lyon King's jurisdiction. We may note en passant, for the edification of persons interested in the study of surnames, that the "Chief of Coulthart," finding himself in danger of losing a collateral member of his distinguished "house," William Coulthart, "who represented the burgh of Wigton in Parliament from 1692 to the Union, of which he was a staunch supporter," now advances fresh claims. The able author of "Popular Genealogists," had shown that the real commissioner of that period was William Cultraine, provost of Wigton, whose name is well-known in connection with that cause celebre, the "Wigton Martyrs." In Mr. Anderson's "Genealogy and Surnames,"e the following remarkable statement is made: "The Galloway name of Culthart is one of great antiquity, and has assumed many forms: Coulthart, Coulthurst, Coulter, Coultram, Coltran, Coltherd, Colthurst, Coltart, Coltman, Colter, and Cather, are but variations of the same name." Mr. Anderson, however, takes the wise precaution of stating in his preface that the account given in his text rests entirely on the authority of the privately printed "genealogy" of the family, by Mr. Parker Knowles."
"... ..."
"e "Genealogy and Surnames." by Wm. Anderson, Editor of the "Scottish Nation." Edinburgh. 1865."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page


 stained glass

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of All Saints
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Parish Church. Mostly late C14 incorporating part of the plinth of the earlier church. Squared and coursed limestone with nave parapet, all on chamfered plinth. Steeply-pitched red sandstone slate nave roof and graduated greenslate chancel roof with coped gable and cross finial. 2-bay nave with north and south porches, transept chapels and west twin bellcote, moved to its present position in 1812; 3-bay chancel with north lean-to vestry. Pointed-arched lean-to stone porches. 3-light panel-tracery windows, that in west wall under 3-light cusped fLat-headed windows; similar 2-light windows in transepts, all under hoodmoulds with carved-head label stops. Flattened hexagonal north-east stair turret under stone slate spire gives access to parapet walk which goes completely around nave, the bellcote set back to allow for the walkway. Chancel has south priest's doorway in pointed arch and 2-light cusped and panel-tracery windows, all under hoodmoulds with carved label stops. Similar east window. 2-light south window and vestry window with flat heads, the vestry window with cusps, both with hoods. Interior of nave has pointed stone barrel-vaulted roof with half-vaulted transepts. Projecting corbel stones were perhaps to support the centering over which the vault was built. West wall has upper corbelling to support parapet walk. Door beside chancel arch gives access to spiral stone staircase up to parapet walk and also gave access to rood screen; one of the supporting corbel stones for this is above the doorway. Piscinae in both transepts, that in south transept with ogee arch and also aumbry recesses. Receut C14 font of which only the carving under the bowl is original. Chancel has C19 open timber roof on C14 corbels. Late C18 and early C19 wall plaques. Piscina in south wall. Pointed-arched doorway to vestry. Late C19 furnishings and fittings. Stained glass dated 1864 and 1884 by R.B. Edmundson. C19 creed and pater boards on west wall."

Rohamet, Robert de 
Jesemwy, Simon de  1293 -  
Appleby, Robert de  1310 -  
Appleby, Henry de 
Boville, Robert 
Whitridge, John de  1341 -  
Ebor, William de  1353 -  
Crosby, Adam de  1361 -  
Neville, George  1530 -  
Turner, William  1561 -  
Fairfax, William  1629 -  
Hechstetter, Daniel  1665 -  
Robinson, Michael  1686 -  
Thompson, Gustavus  1702 -  
Yates, Obadiah  1710 -  
Askew, Adam  1752 -  
Fisher, Daniel  1761 -  
Waties, Robert 
Lowther, Henry  1822 -  
Lowther, John Mordaunt  1874 -  
Ewbank, John  1858 -  

CGI55.jpg  Stone vaulting of nave.
(taken 4.8.2017)  
BVJ30.jpg  Organ. by Wilkinson and Sons, Kendal, 1872.
(taken 3.8.2007)  
BVJ31.jpg  Organ.
(taken 3.8.2007)  
BVJ32.jpg  Organ by:-
"WILKINSON &SONS / KENDAL 1872 / ERECTED IN THIS CHURCH / 1923" (taken 3.8.2007)  
BNX46.jpg  Parish banner, trees with gloves!
(taken 3.8.2007)  
BVJ28.jpg  Steps in the church wall.
(taken 16.9.2011)  
BNX42.jpg (taken 15.8.2007)  

There has been a church on this site since the 11th or 12th centuries. It was included in the papal taxation rolls in 1291.
The stone vaulted roof of the nave is unique in England. The style is commonly found in France, and occasionally in Scotland. From 1379 the Lord of the Manor was Ralph Neville of Raby. In 1380 he served as Governor of Provence where he might seen this style of building, and might have been responsible for the building here.
There was a restoration project which ended in 1869.

Bibby, Pauline: 2003: All Saints Parish Church, a Brief History
Ferguson, C J: 1876=1877: Boltongate Church: TransCWAAS: vol.3

Another tale tells that the church was built by a magic imp, working for the wizard Michael Scott from Holme Coultram.

person:-    : All Saints
place:-   Boltons / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.