| RAVENSTONEDALE, a parish in East ward, Westmoreland, 5 miles from Kirby Stephen, and 260 from London; containing 224 houses and 1138 inhabitants. The church is a small but neat structure rebuilt in 1744, and has a square tower containing three bells. There is a handsome meeting house, for Calvinistic dissenters, whose minister has established a Sunday school. The grammar-school was rebuilt in 1758, and was originally well endowed. Many of the men, women, and children are employed, during the winter, in knitting worsted stockings for the market at Kendal. On the top of
Wild Boar Fell, a remarkable high mountain, there is often a curious phenomenon called a
Helm Wind, being a rolling cloud floating sometimes for several days, when every other part of the sky is perfectly serene, from whence issues a violent hurricane down the sides of the hill, threatening destruction to all before it. The church is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the earl of Lonsdale, who is lord of the manor. -
Monthly Magazine, 1801.