| APPLEBY, a borough and market town in East Ward, Westmoreland, 10 miles from Penrith, 20 from Carlisle, and 266 from London; contains 120 houses and 711 inhabitants, exclusive of Bongate, a separate parish, but part of the town. It is almost encompassed by the river Eden. It was a Roman station, called Aballaba, and had a military way crossing the country here. The assizes are held in the town-hall, and the judges lodge in the castle, an ancient building at the end of the principal street. It is governed by a mayor, aldermen, and common council; besides its church, an old building which stands at the end of the town, there is another in Bongate. It has a gaol, town-hall, free-school, charity-school, and an hospital for a governess and twelve widows, commonly called the mother and twelve sisters; but here is no manufactory. The market, on Saturday, is the best supplied with corn in this part of the kingdom. This town was taken by suprise by William, king of Scotland, but recovered by king John; and Henry II. granted it privileges equal to the city of York; in the reigns of Henry II. and Richard II. it was set on fire by the Scots, and in 1598 it suffered greatly by pestilence; since which time, it has never recovered its original extent. It is a vicarage, value 9
d. Patron, the dean and chapter of Carlisle.